From: gina

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005092817:58:35
Subject: Re: Rounding

I start this lesson with a jar of jellybeans. I have each child write down a guess. Then we discussed why they DIDNT guess a certain way. For example: Why didn't you say 10? or 20? Why didn't you say 1,000 or 2,000. Kids already grasp the concept of estimating, starting with benchmarks makes it easier. I use things like: 25 or 100? How many people on a football team? How many carts at the grocery store? How many seats in the movie theatre? How many children in a class?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/