From: Suzie <mjoiner@richlandone.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005100216:46:59
Subject: Re: Re: Rounding

Also, to teach benchmark numbers-
I give each table 3 clear plastic cups with 25, 50 and 100 written on
the outside. Fill each cup with that many beans or other manipulative.
Have the children count these out to save you the time.
Next, I give them a clear plastic cup and either I fill or have them
fill that cup with a handful of beans. Since the cups are clear, they
can easily compare and decide which number it's closer too.
Continue the activity with different amounts of beans. This works well
as a partner or small group activity. Be sure to have them use the
math vocabulary (benchmark, estimate) as they test one another.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/