Q&A #7392

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: How do I teach rounding to fourth graders who just don't seem to get it?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Suzie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005100217:46:59
Subject: Re: Re: Rounding

Also, to teach benchmark numbers- I give each table 3 clear plastic cups with 25, 50 and 100 written on the outside. Fill each cup with that many beans or other manipulative. Have the children count these out to save you the time. Next, I give them a clear plastic cup and either I fill or have them fill that cup with a handful of beans. Since the cups are clear, they can easily compare and decide which number it's closer too. Continue the activity with different amounts of beans. This works well as a partner or small group activity. Be sure to have them use the math vocabulary (benchmark, estimate) as they test one another.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®