From: Angela <reach4thesky2@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003111301:22:00
Subject: Well this is what I do..

When the word "about" has been used in a word problem, typically I
would have my students create a T-chart.  On one side of the T-chart
students write the word exact and on the other side they write the
word estimate.  In the problem that you stated previously students
should have estimated each individually, then add to find the answer.
Just the word "About" should be associated with estimation.  I always
use a T-chart with my class when working with these particular types
of problems.  Some students estimate/or use mental math without the
use of the T-chart.  Hope that helped you.
Angela

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®