From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002083107:36:49
Subject: Re: Son nervous about 8th grade placement test/HELP!

On 2002083023:41:49, Michelle wrote:

>Hi!  I have been homeschooling my 13 year old since 1st grade and
next
>week he will be going to a private school.  He has to take a
placement
>test and is so nervous that he is going to fail and have to go back
>7th grade.  He wants to study but I am not sure what he needs to
>study.  Could someone please tell us what kinds of questions will be
>on the test?  I called the school and they told me not to worry that
>it is just basic but I want to know what kind of basic question.  For
>example, will math be addition, subtraction long division,
>multiplication, fractions etc.  Or will they be algebra, decimals,
>geometry and word problems?  Could someone help?  I think he would
>feel much more comfortable if he would be able to study and feel more
>prepared.  I just recently had to take him to get updated on his
shots
>to be excepted into the school and he was so nervous he fainted.  I
>worry about him fainting during the test.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Michelle

You can down load the 2000 and 2001 VA Standards of learning (SOLs)
tests for 5th and 8th grade for math and other subjects.  These are
multiple choice questions and would be good practice even if they may
not be exactly what the private schools offers.  Another set of tests
are available on a congressman's site which lets you download several
different grades for several different subjects.  These tests are
different than VA's but like all math is good stuff.

http://www.pen.k12.va.us/
http://scotthochberg.com/taas.html

Hood luck

Post a reply to this message