From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005110418:02:48
Subject: Re: HELP!

On 2005110319:14:47, Monique wrote:

>I need to know how to solve this system of equations!!  It's my
>daughter's homework, but I am clueless!!!
>
>w+2x-y+3z=3
>w+x+2y-2z=3
>2w+2x+2y-z=6
>3w-x-y+4z=12

If your daughter has a text book you can look into the chapter to see
what she is studying.  You can solve this by Cramer's Rule, or you can
use Matrices to solve it.  You can also solve the equations by
eleminating one variable at a time.  But the best way is to see what
the student has been studying by looking at the text book.  You
wouldn't want to use Cramer's Rule unless she has had that material.

If she is using a TI-83 or TI-84, and has been exposed to matrices
which is often the case in Algebra II classes, then I would use that
method.

If you are still having trouble, send another message but let us know
what they are doing in her class.  Most teachers follow the textbook.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/