From: Barb

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001072821:22:44
Subject: Re: Re: Re: great results

In reading this and other reviews of Everyday Mathematics, it amazes me that there can be so many differing opinions. I suppose it reflects various teaching styles and skills, and how children and parents respond to the series. My daughter suffered through 4th grade Everyday Math when our district adopted the series. And I do mean suffered. She is an upper average math student, but the "worksheets" that came home were extremely frustrating for both of us. Many tears and an inordinate amount of time spent on homework, never before experienced in math. What some teachers might not realize is the lack of "education" provided for PARENTS in this series. Very frustrating not to understand the concepts nor have a textbook of some sort for our use. As of last November, I began home schooling our daughter, using Saxon math. Traditional, yes. Maybe too boring for some. But the repetition of facts and concepts has helped my daughter become much more confident in math. It is a mystery to me why some see a need to revolutionize the teaching of math, at some children's expense. I hope other parents will take a closer look at their district's choice of math curriculum. I wish I had known the questions to ask two years ago.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/