From: Barb <halfdozn@columbus.rr.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001072820:22:44
Subject: Re: Re: Re: great results

In reading this and other reviews of Everyday Mathematics, it amazes
me that there can be so many differing opinions.  I suppose it
reflects various teaching styles and skills, and how children and
parents respond to the series.

My daughter suffered through 4th grade Everyday Math when our district
adopted the series.  And I do mean suffered.  She is an upper average
math student, but the "worksheets" that came home were extremely
frustrating for both of us.  Many tears and an inordinate amount of
time spent on homework, never before experienced in math.  What some
teachers might not realize is the lack of "education" provided for
PARENTS in this series. Very frustrating not to understand the
concepts nor have a textbook of some sort for our use.

As of last November, I began home schooling our daughter, using Saxon
math.  Traditional, yes.  Maybe too boring for some.  But the
repetition of facts and concepts has helped my daughter become much
more confident in math.  It is a mystery to me why some see a need to
revolutionize the teaching of math, at some children's expense.

I hope other parents will take a closer look at their district's
choice of math curriculum.  I wish I had known the questions to ask
two years ago.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®