Suggested Techniques

Answer Card by Maureen Hasenbalg
From: Maureen Hasenbalg <mhasenbalg@ibm.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999091107:16:14
Subject: Re: multiplication tables/a no-fail method

I introduced this method to several of my friends whose kids were having the
usual difficulty memorizing 0-12 times tables. First, I made an answer card,
like this:

      0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9     10,11,12,14,15,16,18    20,21,22,24,25,27,28

      30,32,33,35,36    40,42,44,45,48,49    50,54,55,56    60,63,64,66

      70,72,77    80,81,84,88    90,96,99    100,108,110,120,121,132,144

(The kids all think that they have to choose an answer between 0 and 144,
giving them a 1 in 145 chance of a right answer.  When they see that there are
actually only 60 possible answers, their joy and disbelief is an instant
boost.) Next, make up a problem sheet of the 0 through 12 times table problems,
make copies (on a copier or on your computer) and have the child use the answer
sheet to match the problems to the answers WITH YOU. Then have him/her do this
once a day for a week on his/her OWN (twice a day brings quicker results). Take
the answer sheet away after about a week, telling the child you believe he/she
is ready to take the next step, which is doing the problem sheet without the
answer sheet. Do this at least once a day (Twice a day brings quicker results).
Every child we know who used this method learned the 0 through 12 times tables
within 2 weeks.  Hope your results are as positive.
P.S. Some kids begged to do this "game" several times a day!!!
Arrays by Debra Muse
From: Debra Muse <d_muse7@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999011811:15:24
Subject: Teaching multiplication basic facts

For understanding to occur, I suggest teaching basic facts using hands-on
manipulatives and arrays.  Arrays are 'pictures' of the facts.  You may use
chips, counters, buttons, paper clips, etc. or graph paper cut in rectangles.
For example, if you were multiplying 3 x 4, lay out 3 rows of objects with 4 in
each row.  Your child can count the number of objects and 'see' why 3 x 4 = 12!
Chanting by Randy
From: Randy <WeEduK8@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999030202:33:39
Subject: Math

I have a few students with specific learning disabilities in my 6th grade
class. I teach multiplication facts by having all my students chant the
multiples. I write the multiples on the board. The students read the numbers as
I point to them. I control the tempo and pace. I usually tap the numbers on the
board with a wooden pointer so they also get an auditory cue. I don't let them
blabber away.

I start with 2's, 5's, and 10's because they are the easiest to remember. I
have the kids look for the patterns in the products and listen to the rhythm as
they say them.

"2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24" After a while, the kids start "rapping" the
multiples. After a while, you'll find each multiple has its own rhythm and
beat. They pause at the same time. Continue at the same time. (I thinks it's
because they all run out of breath at the same time.)
"3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30---33-36"

Because it gets so noisy, I have them whisper, say it to themselves, and say it
in a normal voice, but never let them shout. I do let them bounce, sway, and
tap their toes, but not pound on their desks, which they invariably want to do.

For follow-up, they can write the multiples on paper as they chant to
themselves. They can do this for homework.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Math Masters Game by Linda Kelly
From: Linda Kelly <holi@northstate.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999052518:58:13
Subject: Math Masters Competition

I have been using a game which I call Math Masters with my students
for the past three years. This game is actually as simple as using
Flash Cards for a competition between students. Two students at a time
go against each other and so on down the line of your students. When a
student misses the problem they rec. a 'cross out' (a line across
their name) After all students compete...you then complete using only
the cross outs against each other .the cross out that looses is then
taken off the list ...then you complete using only the students with
no cross outs..and then back to the cross outs ..this continues until
there are only two students left to compete against each other...my
students play this game every Friday afternoon and they love
it...students winning up to eighth place are posted on a Math Masters
board in the classroom and records are kept of the standing of each
student as each game is played...This game was set up and shown to me
by a teacher that called it 'Shoot Out'...the area I teach in could
not successfully call it by the same name so I changed it to Math
Masters...students also know from the beginnning of the year that the
top three students will rec. awards at the end of the year....we have
also competed against other fifth grade classrooms in our school.They
love it, but the secret, as to any thing like this, is getting the
students to 'buy in to it' ...so far I have!
Memorizing through repetition by Judy
From: Judy
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000053108:20:17
Subject: Re: Memorizing multiplication facts

I am assuming that your students are in third or fourth grade if they
are memorizing multiplication facts.  I have found that most students
learn them through repetition.  I put 5-10 problems on the board each
Monday and every time my students line up (restroom, lunch, recess,
resource classes, etc.) they must recite the facts on the board,
(choral reading style).

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday the answers are up for support, but
on Thurs.  I erase the answers and on Friday I test them on the week's
problems.  This method has been successful because they see it, hear
it, and repeat it four or five times each day.

My students are also fond of the Multiplication Rap, Rock, and/or
Country tapes that are available through catalogs.  Games that use
multiplication facts are also popular with my students and give them a
reason to learn their facts (winning).  I hope some of these
suggestions help you in your endeavor.
Multiplication Bowl by Suzy Rolman
From: Suzy Rolman <mdrolman@mindspring.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999070910:05:48
Subject: Multiplication

     I teach 4th grade.  This year I used "10 Days to Multiplication
Mastery".  It is used with Multiplication Wrap-Ups.  Each child gets 2
wrap ups to take home nightly.  They practice those each night, and we
have competitions the next day to see who could do them the fastest.
At the end of the 10 days, we had a party.  We invited parents to
come, and we raced the parents on the wrap-ups.
    I was also taught by a college friend of a Multiplication Bowl.
We challenged other classes, including a 5th grade class.  We even
beat the 5th grade class.  This is how it works.  You line up in 2
teams.  The first person on each team comes forward.  You show them a
fact on a flash card.  The first one who gets it right goes to the end
of the line.  The other sits down.  If it is a tie, they both go to
the end.  The last team with someone standing wins.  Here's the catch:
if you talk, you are out AND the other team gets to CHOOSE someone
else on your team to get out.  The other team always chooses your best
multiplier, which can cause your team to lose.  This is a quick game,
and is a good filler activity.
Number Families by Ruth Bell Alexander
From: Ruth Bell Alexander <pradz@mind.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999102216:44:34
Subject: number families in multiplication

I've been working with a class of 3rd and 4th graders who don't know
their multiplication facts well at all, even the ones who have very
well developed number sense.  A lot of their problems have to do with
not understanding how multiplication represents groupings of numbers,
so I came up with the idea of "number families." All the members of
the 2's family, for example, can be divided (separated) into exactly 2
equal groups.  2 x 1 means 2 groups of 1 in each group.  I had the
whole class (21 kids) represent our amounts in lines.  We started with
2 kids with a space between them, then added 2 more behind them, then
added 2 more behind them as we talked about 2 x 1, 2 x 2, 2 x 3, etc.
As the seventh group of 2 was heading up to join the two lines, I
asked one boy what amount that would make (2 x 7 = ?) and he said 13.
That was a great lead in to a discussion of odd and even numbers and
why 2 x 7 couldn't possibly be 13.  As the two joined the line to make
14, we counted them and everyone saw that the 2's family HAS to
contain even numbers because you need 1 more in each of the 2 lines.

Then we did the same for the 3's family, starting with 3 kids in 3
separate spaces to represent 3 x 1.  Then 3 more joined them, then 3
more after that.  By the end, they knew that 3 x 7 was going to be 21,
three lines with 7 in each line.

This was a very graphic, tactile, and kinesthetic approach to learning
the multiplication facts.

Row, row, row your boat by Cookie
From: cookie <rcooke@hardin.k12.ky.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999011320:36:25
Subject: Teaching multiplication

        Learning the multiplication tables can also be sung to an already
known tune.  For example, the six tables are fun to sing to the tune
of "Row, Row Your Boat."  My students have fun putting the different
tables to different tunes.  It is like a challenge.  Then we try to
sing them at a more rapid tempo.

0        6         12              18             24          30
Row     row     row your       boat  gently     down the    stream

Substitute the products for the words.  It is actually fun.
Slap, Clap, Snap, Snap by R. Daniel
From: RDaniel <rpd73@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999092717:05:43
Subject: Easy way to teach Multiplication

  I have found this wonderful tape that puts the multiplication tables
to music.  Each table has a different tune which hold the student's
interest.  We listen to the tape every morning (stopping at the
section we are discussing). Students that are still having a difficult
time, I made a personal tape for them to take home and review.
Parents really enjoyed the extra practice this tapes give their child.

  I also play a game called, "Slap, Clap, Snap, Snap" that one of the
teachers from my old school taught us.  Slap is hitting you lap and
saying a number, Clap is another number that you are multiplying by,
the first snap is the word equal and the last snap is the answer.

      Example:   3 times     4        equal        12
                 (slap)    (clap)    (snap)      (snap)

Start off slow at first then you can mix the tables once they have a
working knowledge of all.  Have Fun.
Times Table Strips by Wayne Watson
From: Wayne Watson <sto25sh@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999103107:11:32
Subject: Times table "strips"

Try this with your students:

Since almost everyone can count by 5 and count by 2, start with them.
Have them write the 5 table and underneath it the 2 table:

      5   10  15  20  25 etc.

      2   4   6   8   10 etc.

If you add up each column you'll get the 7 table.

If you subtract each column you'll get the 3 table.

Given what you have so far, have them generate all of the other tables
by adding or subtracting and explaining, in writing,  how each table
was generated. I've found this to be a good way to work on this with
some meaning and in some context. Kids like to come up with as many
different "weird" ways to generate a table (like getting the 4 table
by starting with the 5 table, adding the 2 table to it to get the 7
table, adding the 2 table to it again to get the 9 table, then finally
subtracting the 5 table from it to get the 4 table). You can give a
direction like, " Construct the 8 table in three steps starting with
the 10 table." For kids who already  know them, their task could be
find ALL of the ways to get from 8 to ten in three steps (using only
the tables 1 through 9). Try it - it works AND it's nothing at all
like rote memorization of isolated number facts. It addresses many of
the content and process standards & requires no expensive stuff
(except a lot of paper if the kids get into it). Let me know how it
goes with your students.

Submit your own question to T2T. || Let us know what you think of this page.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/