From: Judy (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 18, 1999 at 09:19:15
Subject: Re: Creative ideas for teaching remedial math

I have taught remedial math to elementary students for several years now.  I
rely heavily on manipulatives since my students have difficulty going beyond
that concrete stage.  I focus on operations with whole numbers, time, money,
measurement, and problem solving strategies.  Since most of my students do
like math, I have developed a serious collection of games that reinforce the
basic skills in a fun format.  I found that these are very useful as the
children do not feel threatened in this format.  All of the games drill the
students, but in a fun type format.  It's teaching them to like math again,
and that's half the battle.  Good luck, these students are a real challenge
but a very rewarding assignment.

 -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question