Q&A #1022

Creative ideas for teaching remedial math

View entire discussion

From: Judy (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 18, 1999 at 09:19:15
Subject: Re: Creative ideas for teaching remedial math

I have taught remedial math to elementary students for several years now. I rely heavily on manipulatives since my students have difficulty going beyond that concrete stage. I focus on operations with whole numbers, time, money, measurement, and problem solving strategies. Since most of my students do like math, I have developed a serious collection of games that reinforce the basic skills in a fun format. I found that these are very useful as the children do not feel threatened in this format. All of the games drill the students, but in a fun type format. It's teaching them to like math again, and that's half the battle. Good luck, these students are a real challenge but a very rewarding assignment. -Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®