Q&A #10435

Final exams

View entire discussion

From: Alice (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 17, 2003 at 22:27:53
Subject: Re: Final exams

I have been looking for research on whether finals are good for the students. All I found were standardized test results from their makers and states, and ridicule from home school parents about tests. I personally believe the kids nowadays are tested to death anyway. I'd rather spend the class time having them learn something with projects or other enrichment topics. If you want to give a final as a challenge, or a game and let the kids learn from it, try some of the SAT practice tests, or advanced placement preps, or contests that are put out on the Internet on all levels. Kids will like the challenge. The Math Forum has practice calculus problems of the week, there are other sites from all over the world with challenging contests. (COMAP, Making Mathematics, Knot theory sites, NASA model building sites...) I was a little upset about the attendance requirement. I believe that if a student can learn from someone or something besides me, it should make no difference that he/she had perfect atendance. But then, in some places I'm considered to have radical ideas. -Alice, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®