Q&A #10489

Graphing: discrete vs continuous data

View entire discussion

From: Linda Shidell <LShidell@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 05, 2003 at 09:54:03
Subject: Graphing: discrete vs continuous data

[Question] I am using the Connected Math series from Prentice Hall. The module is Variables and Patterns. Students are learning coordinate graphing. The teacher's manual doesn't make it clear when to connect the points in the line and when not to. However, the question is repeated throughtout the text, "Is it appropriate to connect the points?" I'm having a hard time explaining this concept to seventh graders. Can you help? In one instance, bicyclists miles are being plotted on a graph with time on the x axis, and miles on the y. The points are connected. In the next problem, bicyclists are traveling away from a particular city. Again time is on the x, and miles on the y. However, in this case, the points are not connected. The explanation given is that it's the miles away from the city that is being graphed, not the number of miles traveled by the cyclists. This isn't clear to me. Thank You, Mrs. Shidell Grade 7 Plainfield Central School

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®