Q&A #1054

Motivating group-workers

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 23, 1999 at 17:18:07
Subject: Re: Motivating group-workers

I do not know if this idea would work, but I tried this technique when I was
testing some excellent ideas about groups that I had heard presented at an
NCTM conference.

Anyway, have the groups do the discovery, then BEFORE you have the
conversation to make the math language more meaningful, and randomly choose
students from the groups to ask questions. The groups gets the grade. In
other words, peer pressure may force the students to become motivated and
stay involved. I know it worked really well for me in even checking homework.
Maybe this will be enough of a seed of an idea that might help!

Good luck!
 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®