From: Alice (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 22, 2003 at 08:52:04
Subject: Re: "One-room schoolhouse" in a classroom

Hi Tom, I have been trying to do the same thing for years, with similar frustrations as you have had. (I have not had so many different courses in the same classroom, but have been trying to accomplish what individual tutoring would do with each different learner.) My students usually increase more than one grade elevel each year on average, and their standardized test score rise considerably because of some of the following methods: First: Here is a site on differentiated instruction (new words for the one-room schoolhouse idea) http://www.ascd.org/educationnews/eric/differinstructionres.html Note: Carol Ann Tomlinson's book is phenomenal. She is big in gifted education, and I think the methods used for teaching gifted should be used for all students. Wait till you read and try some of the ASCD books! Second: You may want to see my (perpetually under construction) website. It has projects, contests, and applets for the courses you and I now teach. You are welcome to use it for your students. It will help you differentiate your students' learning. http://mathexploratorium.com I have taken a lot from what I believe is the best on the web and linked, with permission, to those sites. Third: Projects work best for me to develop a class camaraderie. With a well- orchestrated project, students learn the required material on their own level, and are kept interested while so doing. There are many sites for project-based learning that are already well done, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel! One surprise when I began my first project, which was "write a short fiction story to teach a math standard", resulted in students learning more in less time. That's what projects seem to do. We use peer evaluation with rubrics, where students critique what others have done. Then students have a chance to redo their project and present it again for critiquing. I don't accept them until they are perfected (or the school year ends). What's also beautiful about this is that all students repeatedly see and learn from each project. In your class, they'll learn three courses! I'm not completely satisfied with the results as yet, but until all improve tremendously, I won't be. :) Fourth: Here is an interesting site from China that will lead you through the steps you might want to take: http://www.tistschool.org/EARCOS_Institute.htm Hope this helps, and good luck! -Alice, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/