Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #12237

Game Activities in Math Education

View entire discussion

From: Anton Ninno <aninno@cnyric.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 08, 2003 at 11:13:57
Subject: Game Activities in Math Education

Are teachers using the 4,000 year old Asian game called Go to integrate math instruction with social studies and language arts? Go is the popular Japanese name known worldwide. Go is called Baduk in Korea, and Wei-chi (Wei-qi) in China. Like chess, the game of Go offers many curricular connections for student activities. Go remains the only board game that has not been conquered by computer programmers. None of the Go-playing programs currently on the market can offer a serious challenge to even a strong amateur Go player, let alone a professional. In fact, researchers in artificial intellingence use Go as a benchmark for defining many aspects of the human thinking process. See the links below for more information: American Go Association http://www.usgo.org/ GoBase http://gobase.org/ Anton __________ "I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke Anton Ninno, K-12 Tech Integration Trainer Voice: 315-431-8407 E-mail: aninno@ocmboces.org OCM-BOCES, Rodax 8 Building 6075 East Molloy Rd., Syracuse, NY 13206 OCM-BOCES http://www.ocmboces.org/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/