Q&A #1239

Use of the StudyWorks math/science program in middle/high school

View entire discussion

From: Allen J. Pecar <pecar@torchlake.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 19, 1999 at 21:47:42
Subject: Re: Use of the StudyWorks math/science program in middle/high school

Claudia: A belated thanks for your comments regarding my questions and concerns. Several years ago MathSoft did send me a free CD of their original StudyWorks which I thought was excellent for tying computer math in with the various sciences we offer in our high school. I understand MathSoft now has a later version of StudyWorks. Their MathCad does get in to math far beyond my capability, and anything that we teach in our small rural Michigan high school. Somehow we got a 16 million dollar millage passed for major renovations and for a brand new high school. 1.5 million of the 16 million has to be used for technology. It disturbs me that so much will be spent on hardware when so few of out teachers really know much about computing, and so few decisions have been made as to how all of this hardware will be used. Much of our previous purchases of computers have become obsolete without ever being fully utilized. With the new high school, complete with a major computer installation will be opened next September. I hope to get some computer use plan in place by then - hence my request for comments on MathCad to pass on to our administration and teachers. If you have the time take a look at the web page I maintain that has numerous suggestions for using computers in education, and also sources of educational software and information. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3651 Thanks again! Allen J. Pecar Mancelona, Michigan

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®