From: Allen J. Pecar <pecar@torchlake.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 19, 1999 at 21:47:42
Subject: Re: Use of the StudyWorks math/science program in middle/high school

Claudia:

A belated thanks for your comments regarding my questions and concerns.
Several years ago MathSoft did send me a free CD of their original
StudyWorks
which I  thought was excellent for tying computer math in with the various
sciences we offer in our high school.  I understand MathSoft now has a later
version of StudyWorks.
Their MathCad does get in to math far beyond my capability,
and anything that we teach in our small rural Michigan high school.
Somehow we got a 16 million dollar millage passed for major renovations
and for a brand new high school.  1.5 million of the 16 million has to be
used
for technology.  It disturbs me that so much will be spent on hardware
when so few of out teachers really know much about computing, and so
few decisions have been made as to how all of this hardware will be
used.  Much of our previous purchases of computers have become obsolete
without ever being fully utilized.

With the new high school, complete with a major computer installation
will be opened next September.  I hope to get some computer use plan in place
by then - hence my request for comments on MathCad to pass on to our
administration and teachers.

If you have the time take a look at the web page I maintain that has
numerous suggestions for using computers in education, and also sources
of educational software and information.  Any advice or suggestions will
be appreciated.  www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3651

Thanks again!
Allen J. Pecar
Mancelona, Michigan