Q&A #12508

Which algorithms should we still teach in high school?

View entire discussion

From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 14, 2003 at 19:36:01
Subject: Which algorithms should we still teach in high school?

My Question is, since we do not teach the square root algorithm anymore, are there other topics in the high school math curriculum from Alg 2 and above, that because of technology we should not be wasting time teaching? I guess I need to know why we need to teach Cramer's rule, DeCartes rule of signs, finding upper bound and lower bound by hand, augmented matrices by hand, determinants of matrices and I am sure there are others. I want to know if other teachers think these skill concepts are obsolete and what they teach in their place.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®