From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 14, 2003 at 19:36:01
Subject: Which algorithms should we still teach in high school?

  My Question is, since we do not teach the square root algorithm anymore,
are there other topics in the high school math curriculum from Alg 2 and
above, that because of technology we should not be wasting time teaching?

I guess I need to know why we need to teach Cramer's rule, DeCartes rule of
signs, finding upper bound and lower bound by hand, augmented matrices by
hand, determinants of matrices and I am sure there are others.  I want to
know if other teachers think these skill concepts are obsolete and what they
teach in their place.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/