From: Judy K. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 13, 1999 at 01:56:07
Subject: Re: NSF's connected mathematics

I want to respond to your request, but there is hardly enough room or time to
do justice to the Connected Mathematics Project. I have been using these
materials for three years in a mixed ability classroom of seventh graders in
Boulder, Colorado. I have seen students grasp concepts that my previous 7th
graders never mastered. This has been due to the fact that concepts are
presented in depth and not for just a few pages in a text book. Students
explore big ideas for a few weeks and, although these ideas are based on one
strand of mathematics, e.g. algebra, they connect to all mathematics strands
as well as to other curricular areas.

There is a classroom presentation called a launch followed by explorations in
groups, pairs, or individually. Finally the class gets together for a summary
of learnings. Problem solving and meaningful discourse is emphasized.

I would love to give you more meaningful information geared to your grade
level. There is also a web site for CMP where you can learn more about this
award winning program. Yes, it deserves the high ratings it has earned.
The web address is..

http://www.mth.msu.edu/cmp/

Please take time to visit the site and ask more questions if you have them.

-Judy K., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/