Q&A #1465

NSF's connected mathematics

View entire discussion

From: Judy K. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 13, 1999 at 01:56:07
Subject: Re: NSF's connected mathematics

I want to respond to your request, but there is hardly enough room or time to
do justice to the Connected Mathematics Project. I have been using these
materials for three years in a mixed ability classroom of seventh graders in
Boulder, Colorado. I have seen students grasp concepts that my previous 7th
graders never mastered. This has been due to the fact that concepts are
presented in depth and not for just a few pages in a text book. Students
explore big ideas for a few weeks and, although these ideas are based on one
strand of mathematics, e.g. algebra, they connect to all mathematics strands
as well as to other curricular areas.

There is a classroom presentation called a launch followed by explorations in
groups, pairs, or individually. Finally the class gets together for a summary
of learnings. Problem solving and meaningful discourse is emphasized.

I would love to give you more meaningful information geared to your grade
level. There is also a web site for CMP where you can learn more about this
award winning program. Yes, it deserves the high ratings it has earned.
The web address is..

Please take time to visit the site and ask more questions if you have them.

-Judy K., for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®