From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 18, 1999 at 19:50:08
Subject: Re: Advantage Math Program

I am hopeful that we will have the Advantage Math program in place next
fall. I have read about it and discussed it with some other teachers who
are presently using it with fourth grade students. They are sold on the
individualization aspect. I hope to be able to create a remediation class
for students who are not up to grade level and use the program there as a
start. I am excited about using this and will let you know more when I get
more information.

-Rosemary Johnson

We are piloting it, the STAR Math part of it where it levels kids, then you
place them at that level and they work towards goals. The negatives I have
heard is that is mostly arithmetic/computational based with very little from
other areas of NCTM Standards such as Geometry and Probability and
Statistics, etc. I strongly believe the best math program comes through
authentic hands on activities that build concepts in children - not
memorization of rules so they can do countless algorithms. I can not make a
full judgement myself until I use it!

- Raschelle Freeman

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/