Q&A #1557

Equivalence of coins

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 12, 1999 at 20:06:32
Subject: Re: Equivalence of coins

Have you ever seen this Shel Sliverstein poem? It is about those children you mentioned in your message, the ones who can be easily tricked. Smart My dad gave me one dollar bill 'Cause I'm his smartest son, And I swapped it for two shiny quarters 'Cause two is more than one! And then I took the quarters And traded them to Lou For three times -- I guess he don't know That three is more than two! Just then, along came old blind Bates And just 'cause he can't see He gave me four nickles for my three dimes, And four is more than three! And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs Down at the seed-feed store, And the fool gave me five pennies for them, And five is more than four! And then I went and showed my dad, And he got red in the cheeks And closed his eyes and shook his head-- Too proud of me to speak! - Shel Silverstein Perhaps you could put this poem in the center of your display, and then have the students prepare mini posters all around to show that THEY could not be tricked like that! -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®