From: Jenny (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 14, 1999 at 23:20:10
Subject: Re: Math level

I have a second grade son, so I know how you feel. Since first grade children
are learning to read and write also. You probably do not see lots of workbook
pages and if he communicates as well as my son, it is probably difficult to
actually know what he is doing in class. You should check with your local
school or district to find out what first grade students are expected to
learn and you should voice your concerns with your son's teacher
also.

You might want to look at some national math standards and some state
standards. This would give you a sense of what your son should be able to
do in mathematics at his age. Try this site - it has links to the national
math standards as well as many state standards.

  http://www.enc.org/reform

 -Jenny, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question