Q&A #16426

Math as language

View entire discussion

From: Randall Harris <randall.j.harris@verzon.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 27, 2005 at 12:47:07
Subject: Math as language

I recently finished a series of the history of language and was introduced to the work of Noam Chomsky, MIT, on the development of language. He postulated that since children seem to learn their native languages at roughly the same rate there must be some deep structure for language 'hard wired' into the brain. He went on to say that what children acquire are the transformational rules that allow them to communicate. Since his first publication on this subject many others have followed on and it is now a basic component of linguistic studies. I am wondering if there has been work at the same level on how we acquire numerical understanding and what implications it would have on how we teach math?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®