From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 08, 2006 at 09:15:46
Subject: Re: mad math minutes

>I would like to get the mad math minute program started at our school. I
>would greatly appreciate any information on how begin. Are there work
>sheets available to print? Is there a contact site?
>Thank you,
>Dori

Dear Dori,
      I do want to caution you about using "mad minutes" though.   Some
students will not perform well under that sort of pressure, and may seem not
to be successful, when really all they need is a little more time.   Some
valid strateiges for learning facts take a little longer to perform than
others.   We do want our students to have fluency with arithmetic facts, but
having to spout them out under timed conditions gives students a view that
in mathematics the answers should be quick and easy, and that "good"
mathematicians are the ones who can answer the fastest.  We know that fast
doesn't equate with best all the time.
 -Gail, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®