Q&A #1659

Graphing calculators

View entire discussion

From: Cheryl Szymanski
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 16, 1999 at 08:48:33
Subject: Graphing calculators

I was wondering how other calculus teachers address the use of graphing calculators on tests and quizzes. I require all of my students to have a graphing calculator in both my AP and Honors level classes and since many of my lessons involve demonstrations and activities using a TI-83 calculator, I allow the use of them on most tests. Because some of my students have come from different schools or have had different teachers in the past they come in already owning a calculator that is not a TI-83. I do not know the capabilities of every calculator and do not want some students to have an unfair advantage. For example, this year a student had a TI-92 which I know nothing about. I asked him about the capabilities of things like finding an antiderivative formula and he said it cannot. I later found out it can and since he had used it on tests where I wanted to see if students had memorized such formulas he had an advantage over all of my other students. How do you make sure that this does not happen with so many different calculators on the market and the technology changing so fast?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®