From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 16, 1999 at 09:47:41
Subject: Re: Graphing calculators

It is a difficult situation to constantly deal with. However, one thing you can do is ask us about a particular calculator. We can find out if we do not already know! Another would be to go to the website for a company and read the details. TI also has a 1-800 phone number which would answer your specific questions. FYI - Both the TI-92 and the TI-89(New) have symbolic manipulation capabilities, meaning they can differentiate and integrate with variables. Be aware, that if it only formula you want, any of the graphing calculators can PROGRAM the formulas into the calculators! It is disappointing that your student lied to you. Realize, though, that with the exception of the TI-92, most of the other calculators ARE allowed on parts of the AP exam! One solution would be to give students a non- calculator page of a test and then allow the use of calculators on the rest! Also include some writing and explaining questions, so that if students choose to use calculators they still have to know what the "black box" is doing! There is no way you can police it, so make your life easier and make them more knowledgeable by adjusting how you ask test items! Let me know if I can help further! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/