From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 18, 2006 at 08:49:07
Subject: Re: Defined areas of student struggles

Hi Rick, Thanks for your question to T2T. I have searched a couple of times now to try to find some research on this topic. I'm going to open this for public discussion. Sorry that I couldnt' be more helpful. >I am trying to find resources that define specific areas of student >struggles in the math classroom at the high school level. That is, are >there articles/research around areas (concepts or otherwise) that have >been defined as necessary and sufficient for struggling learners to >succeed in mathematics. I know there is a lot of anecdotal inference that >allows some to argue that students have to build their arithmetic skills >prior to abstraction. Is there any research that suggests this is true, >or more importantly, that this type of solution is a necessary condition >for success in algebra and beyond? -Cynthia, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/