From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 18, 2006 at 08:49:07
Subject: Re: Defined areas of student struggles

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your question to T2T. I have searched a couple of times now to
try to find some research on this topic.

I'm going to open this for public discussion. Sorry that I couldnt' be more
helpful.

>I am trying to find resources that define specific areas of student
>struggles in the math classroom at the high school level. That is, are
>there articles/research around areas (concepts or otherwise) that have
>been defined as necessary and sufficient for struggling learners to
>succeed in mathematics. I know there is a lot of anecdotal inference that
>allows some to argue that students have to build their arithmetic skills
>prior to abstraction. Is there any research that suggests this is true,
>or more importantly, that this type of solution is a necessary condition
>for success in algebra and beyond?

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®