Q&A #17073

High School Math Progression

View entire discussion

From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 05, 2006 at 14:02:30
Subject: Re: High School Math Progression

Hi Davina, Thanks for your question. I prefer the sequence that you are suggesting: >I feel that this should change to >Algebra 1-Grade 8 >Geometry - Grade 9 >Algebra 2 - Grade 10 The reason is, Geometry provides a nice application of basic algebra 1 concepts and geometry is not dependent on algebra 2 concepts that I have ever seen. Some people argue that delaying geometry a year helps the students since geometry is more abstract and that gives them another year of maturity. I found the maturity to play more to the needs of algebra 2 which I find to be a very challenging course. Anyway, these are all just my beliefs. I have no research to back it up except for a lot of informal observations. Good luck, >I teach high school at a small district. Right now the curriculum is >Algebra 1 Grade 8 >Algebra 2 Grade 9 >Geometry Grade 10 > >I feel that this should change to >Algebra 1-Grade 8 >Geometry - Grade 9 >Algebra 2 - Grade 10 > >Is this a good recommendation that I should take to the school board? > >Thank you >Math Department Head -Cynthia, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®