From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 05, 2006 at 14:02:30
Subject: Re: High School Math Progression

Hi Davina,

Thanks for your question. I prefer the sequence that you are suggesting:

>I feel that this should change to
>Algebra 1-Grade 8
>Geometry - Grade 9
>Algebra 2 - Grade 10

The reason is, Geometry provides a nice application of basic algebra 1
concepts and geometry is not dependent on algebra 2 concepts that I have
ever seen. Some people argue that delaying geometry a year helps the
students since geometry is more abstract and that gives them another year
of maturity. I found the maturity to play more to the needs of algebra 2
which I find to be a very challenging course. Anyway, these are all just my
beliefs. I have no research to back it up except for a lot of informal
observations.

Good luck,

>I teach high school at a small district. Right now the curriculum is
>Algebra 1 Grade 8
>Algebra 2 Grade 9
>Geometry Grade 10
>
>I feel that this should change to
>Algebra 1-Grade 8
>Geometry - Grade 9
>Algebra 2 - Grade 10
>
>Is this a good recommendation that I should take to the school board?
>
>Thank you
>Math Department Head

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®