From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 19, 2006 at 08:04:06
Subject: Re: calculator use

Hi Deb, Thanks for your question. I don't have one, but I thought what a neat activity that it would be to have the kids work on this as a project to make up some!!! If you give it a try, let me know how it goes. I think they would learn a lot about mental math. >I used to have an activity for upper elementary that was excellent. You >could divide the class in half, give one half a calculator, the other half >nothing. Then you would put this long, like 10 or 12 step problem on the >overhead, and tell them to solve (evaluate) the problem and raise their >hand when they were finished. And if you used your brain, you could get >done much more quickly than if you punched in all the numbers on your >calculator. >So I wondered if anyone has an activity like that, that would be >appropriate for middle level. >Thanks. Deb -Cynthia, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/ It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum. Please read more about this possibility: http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/