From: Cynthia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 19, 2006 at 08:04:06
Subject: Re: calculator use

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your question.

I don't have one, but I thought what a neat activity that it would be to
have the kids work on this as a project to make up some!!!

If you give it a try, let me know how it goes. I think they would learn a
lot about mental math.

>I used to have an activity for upper elementary that was excellent.  You
>could divide the class in half, give one half a calculator, the other half
>nothing.  Then you would put this long, like 10 or 12 step problem on the
>overhead, and tell them to solve (evaluate) the problem and raise their
>hand when they were finished.  And if you used your brain, you could get
>done much more quickly than if you punched in all the numbers on your
>calculator.
>So I wondered if anyone has an activity like that, that would be
>appropriate for middle level.
>Thanks.  Deb

 -Cynthia, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®