Q&A #176

Place value

View entire discussion

From: Susan (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 06, 1998 at 17:08:07
Subject: Re: Place value in 4th grade

A calculator activity I do is to have students build numbers based on certain criteria: Make a three-digit number with a 6 in the tens place. OR Make a four-digit number larger than 3,500 with a four in the ones place. OR Make a four-digit number with a 3 in the tens and a 9 in the hundreds place. When students have a number that they believe is correct, they jot it down and try to make another on the calculator. We list 10-12 on the board and talk about what they have in common: a six in the tens, they all have a sixty-something, etc., and check for understanding that way. This really helps to develop place value. - Susan

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®