From: Cory <corster37@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 07, 2007 at 08:15:59
Subject: Making a connection to their future

I need an illustration, something somewhat powerful and real to encourage
my kids who take basic skills math with me.  I have a poster in my room
which says "When are we ever gonna use this?"  Lots of jobs are listed of
course but my kids never really read the poster.  I guess what I want them
to see is even if they don't have one of those jobs, that what they are
learning now is preparing them to think in the future.  It's not like tons
of people use math everyday in their jobs, but because of their math
training in school, they know how to think more analytically.  If they
didn't have math growing up, they wouldn't probably have the jobs they
have today, although possible.  So I want my kids to see some illustration
I can give them that would show them that even if they don't have a math
related job in the future, they know clearly more how to think because
they did well in math.  I just don't think we would be where we are today
if we didn't know how to think and analyze a little and that seems to be a
huge purpose of math.  How can I encourage my middle school kids?
Thanks!

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®