From: Susan (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 28, 1998 at 23:24:56
Subject: Re: Cooperative problem solving

One of my favorite problems for a group to solve is: How many area codes are
available for use?

I give students the OLD SET of rules for area codes:

   - can't begin with a 0 or 1
   - can't end in a 0 or 1
   - middle digit must be a 0 or 1
   - must be three digits

(Please note that these rules no longer apply!)

Cooperatively they work to make an organized list of possibilities. Then a
discussion ensues regarding why the phone company found it necessary to change
rules. (More faxes, multiple lines, modems, etc.) This I have done with my third
graders.

I've never had taken it to the next step where students would figure out just how
many there are altogether, excluding ones like 555, 800, and 888 because they
aren't for AREAs, and ones like 011 and all of the country codes.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/