From: Claire (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 17, 2007 at 10:33:44
Subject: Re: teaching special ed. place value

>I am a 4th grade special ed teacher looking for a simple way to teach my
>studers large numbers, so that they can write the numbers as well as
>remember which place comes next.

---------------------

Hi, Fannie --

Thanks for writing to T2T. Place value can be a difficult concept for many
children. Students might be able to memorize the place names, but that isn't
of much value if they don't understand the magnitude of the numbers. The
larger the numbers, the less likely that they'll have any way to
conceptualize the relative size of numbers.

Base 10 blocks are an effective manipulative for helping students understand
place value. If you don't have any handy, check out the virtual base blocks at
http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/category_g_1_t_1.html
These help children understand how to compose and decompose numbers, e.g.,
3,685 = 3,000 + 600 + 80 + 5

Cut out 10 by 10 squares from 1/4 in graph paper to represent 100. Have
students paste strips of 10 of them to show 1000, then 10 strips into a
square to show 10,000. Combine this with children practicing lots of oral and
written language and notation.

There are a number of engaging children's books that address large numbers.
Look for:
The King's Chessboard, Birch
How Much is a Million?, Schwartz
A Grain of Rice, Pittman
One Grain of Rice, Demi

Check out our Place Value FAQ page on the T2T site for other ideas suggested
by Associates and teachers:
http://mathforum.org/t2t/faq/

I hope this is helpful. Please write again if you have more questions.

 -Claire, for the T2T service

It is now possible to make a financial contribution to help The Math Forum.
Please read more about this possibility:
http://www.drexel.edu/ia/mathforum/.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®