Q&A #19441

Approximations of pi

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 30, 2008 at 07:45:29
Subject: Re: Approximations of pi

Hi Ashley, Rather than thinking about which is more accurate, I try to help my students think about which of the approximations they should use for Pi in each circumstance. For example, if they are working with a problem where the given dimension of the circle, either the radius or the diameter, is a multiple of 7, it is easier to use 22/7, because when you begin to multiply, the denominator will "cancel out". Like this: Find the circumference of a circle with a diameter of 14 inches: C = 22/7 x 14 or (22 x 14)/(7 x 1). The 14 and the 7 become 2/1, so you have (22 x 2)/(1 x 1), which is just 44, so the answer is 44 inches. If you did that same problem using 3.14 instead of 22/7, you would end up with C = 3.14 x 14, which is 43.96 inches. I hope this gives you something to think about. -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®