Q&A #19701

Division in 7th grade general math

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 24, 2008 at 17:49:56
Subject: Re: Division in 7th grade general math

Hi Luann, What you are asking about is interesting, because it requires that we put the math into words, and sometimes that can be tricky. Before we do the fraction problems you have suggested, let's think about dividing in terms of some whole numbers. If you divide 12 BY 3 (which looks like this 12 / 3), for example, you get three piles of 4, or four piles of 3, right? Because "divided by 3" means, put the amount you started with into a 3 equal piles, or into piles of 3, and 3 x 4 is the same amount as 4 x 3. You are asking "how many groups of 3 are in 12?" If, on the other hand, someone asked you to divide 12 INTO 3, (which looks like this 3 / 12), that would be like having 3 cookies, and needing to share them with 12 people. You are asking "how many groups of 12 are in 3?" You know that you can't get even ONE group of 12 from 3; in fact, you would have only 1/4 of a cookie for each person. So, if you started with 1, and divided by 1/2, that would be like trying to find out how many groups of 1/2 there are in 1, and the answer would be 2. If you started with 1 and were dividing it INTO 1/2, that would be like saying how many 1s are in 1/2? There isn't even one 1 in 1/2, is there? In fact, there is only half of a 1 in 1/2. I hope that helps. Let us know if you still have questions. :-) -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®