Q&A #20691

Counting beyond 100

View entire discussion

From: Laurie Connole <connolel@fccps.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Mar 25, 2010 at 16:28:24
Subject: Re: Counting beyond 100

Thanks so much Claire, your email was helpful. To answer your question, No, our memory of not saying "and" was simply from memory, and not from any published sources - just our "local math experts." We determined to try and stick with NOT saying the "and," especially when modeling counting with the children. We also determined that this would be more consistent with teaching the correct way to write beyond 100. For example, the number 110 written as 110, rather than writing 10010, as Kindergarteners are prone to do. We did also discuss though that we do use "and" when teaching place value, such as "10 bundles of 10 straws and 9 more straws" to represent 109. It is a subtle difference. Nonetheless, I plan to model counting without the "and" but also not correct the students if they do use "and." Thanks again.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®