Q&A #20742

View entire discussion

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 27, 2010 at 22:10:20
Subject: Re: Technology in Geometry

Hi, John, I am a retired teacher who taught both BC (before calculators/computers) and AC (after same) While I did not do any standardized research in the classroom I found that the use of technology enhanced my students learning with the ease in constructions, measurement and comprehension of 3-D figures. A few of my students tested hypotheses and asked themselves what something might mean. I remember one of the days when someone asked "How many triangles could they construct having a fixed area and a fixed base?" Without technology, it would take a huge amount of work of work. With a computer, that enabled quick constructions...almost everyone concluded that there were infinitely many such triangles. Solution: First find the altitude of the triangle from using the area/base. Construct an altitude of this measure somewhere on the base. Construct a line through the end of the altitude parallel to the base. Every point on the parallel line will be the vertex of a triangle answering this question. Personally, we did things that I never imagined doing without technology. This does not answer your question as you asked for standard research. I suggest that you access the websites of textbook companies such as KeyPress and math projects such as UCSMP (University of Chicago School Mathematics Project.) The latter has conducted research on their materials for more than 20 years. Try http://ucsmp.uchicago.edu/Secondary.html Key Press is a leader in software for geometry. http://keypress.com/ For other approaches start with: http://www.cited.org/index.aspx?page_id=119 This might send you to other places on line. If you are not sure what to do, see if your department chair/principal will allow you to teach one section with technology for a semester and another section without the technology. Then you will see the difference among your own students. I wish you well. -Marielouise, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®