From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 27, 2010 at 22:10:20
Subject: Re: Technology in Geometry

Hi, John,

I am a retired teacher who taught both BC (before calculators/computers) and
AC (after same) While I did not do any standardized research in the classroom
I found that the use of technology enhanced my students learning with the
ease in constructions, measurement and comprehension of 3-D figures. A few of
my students tested hypotheses and asked themselves what something might mean.

I remember one of the days when someone asked "How many triangles could they
construct having a fixed area and a fixed base?" Without technology, it would
take a huge amount of work of work. With a computer, that enabled quick
constructions...almost everyone concluded that there were infinitely many
such triangles. Solution: First find the altitude of the triangle from using
the area/base. Construct an altitude of this measure somewhere on the base.
Construct a line through the end of the altitude parallel to the base. Every
point on the parallel line will be the vertex of a triangle answering this
question.

Personally, we did things that I never imagined doing without technology.

This does not answer your question as you asked for standard research. I
suggest that you access the websites of textbook companies such as KeyPress
and math projects such as UCSMP (University of Chicago School Mathematics
Project.)  The latter has conducted research on their materials for more than
20 years. Try http://ucsmp.uchicago.edu/Secondary.html

Key Press is a leader in software for geometry. http://keypress.com/

For other approaches start with: http://www.cited.org/index.aspx?page_id=119

This might send you  to other places on line.

If you are not sure what to do, see if your department chair/principal will
allow you to teach one section with technology for a semester and another
section without the technology. Then you will see the difference among your
own students.

I wish you well.

 -Marielouise, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message