From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 15, 1998 at 18:35:42
Subject: Re: Rubrics in Elementary Math

The following problem is one that should evoke thinking skills. This could be used at the middle grades. I have used this type of problem with grades 5-8. Diagram 1 Diagram 2 Diagram 3 Diagram 4 Diagram 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If this pattern continues for a total of twelve diagrams, which of the diagrams will have a total number of dots divisible by 3? Explain how you found the solution and describe any patterns that you observed. Many different rubrics could be used. I would give points for math knowledge, strategic knowledge, and for communication skills. Math knowledge would indicate that they understood what the pattern is doing and what divisible by three means. Strategic knowledge would be illustrated in the way the student went about his/her work. Did they continue drawing more patterns? Did they find a number pattern and just show numbers? This can be shown in a variety of ways. Finally, were they able to communicate to the reader what their thought process was in solving this problem? I hope this has been some help. There are many resources available on this issue of using rubrics for assessment. Sometimes you can get materials on this from your state board of education. Good luck. Suzanne

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/