From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 22, 1998 at 22:26:46
Subject: Re: Rubrics in Elementary Math

Kathy, I appreciate your effort in trying to figure out ways to implement the standards. I personally find that it takes a lot of focus and constant reviewing of the standards to keep them fresh in my own mind. It sometimes becomes quite challenging to come up with fresh ideas. This is where I am always relying on books, other teachers, the Internet - anything that I can find that supports the goal that I am trying to achieve. For example, you mentioned the value and beauty of mathematics. Sometimes, just your enthusiasm for a topic gives the value to a student. At the risk of being repetitive, I feel that working with patterns is a great way to show the beauty of mathematics. There are so many great patterns that are not necessarily connected with mathematics, such as that of the honeycomb, the petal arrangement of flowers, the art work that goes into a mosaic floor, and much more. Another connection between math and beauty is the math in music. One area that gets my 8th graders excited is that of working with tessellations. They created their own by hand and then we used the software TesselMania! This offers a great way to combine art and mathematics. One thing that I find helpful is to keep a copy of the national standards handy and refer to it each week as I make up plans to see if there is a "Must Do" activity that enhances the topic at hand. Many times there is. I hope I have helped a bit. Suzanne

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/