From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 02, 1998 at 20:39:51
Subject: Re: Math curriculum for gifted middle school students

Seems to me you have a perfect opportunity to work with the students and lay
a phenomenal foundation.

Begin with basic operations of fractions, decimals and integers. Expand from
there. Do they understand the concept of a variable? Be sure not to reteach;
take your time and plan great classroom activities. Intermingle some
probability and data concepts within the activities.

Get your hands on the middle school project known as the Connected
Mathematics Project.

http://www.mth.msu.edu/cmp/

Contact South-Western Publishing Co. at

http://www.swep.com/

and get their book, <I>Mathematics: Modeling Our World</I> so that you can
see activities to incorporate great algebra skills with all kinds of math and
fun applications. Think more than skills and content concepts - look for the
kinds of explorations that will make the mathematics more meaningful.

Good luck!

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®