From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 10, 2000 at 21:16:10
Subject: Re: How can I teach Topology?

I, too, think this is difficult for high school students. I do use a very hands-on approach to
making students aware of the area of topology. I use the book  The Mathematical Tourist by Ivars
Peterson.  We use playdough to change a coffee cup into a doughnut. We create moebius strips. We
use soap bubbles to show tension of surfaces areas.

You may want to check out the MATH FORUM
library to go to sites with information on topology.

http://mathforum.org/library/

 -
Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/