From: Josh Yezerski <jyezersk@seq.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 05, 2000 at 14:52:33
Subject: Growth projects

We are doing growth projects in Algebra II, where students are to find data
detailing some kind of growth or decay, for example populations, or disease
prevalences.  Students then make a scatter plot and have to find equations
of best fit using linear, quadratic and exponential functions.  They follow
this by finding the prediction equations for these graphs, and making
predictions for 10 years in the future.

My question is two fold.  I would like to integrate technology into this
project.  Although we already use the TI-82 in the classroom, I was
wondering if there was a better program to use in a computer lab where the
students could create multi-media presentations?  I would also like to aide
them in finding data on the internet, but have struggled myself in sifting
through statistics on the web.  For instance, in the last two years, I have
been looking for HIV statistics over periods of time, but cannot seem to
find the right site.  Do you know of links to the type of data that my
students need?

							Sincerely,
								Josh Yezerski

Post a public discussion message