From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 10, 2000 at 22:44:58
Subject: Re: Pre-calculus Project!

There is a website that uses the internet to find "real-life" data and then
analyzes.  It is set up by Prof. Leah McCoy at Wake Forest University.  You
might wish to visit it.  This is where I might start for sports.

http://www.wfu.edu/~mccoy/NCTM00

McCoy has her pre-service students do projects using WebQuest, a program that
removes several layers of data from websites and makes that data accessible
to students without the students having full access.

An idea for music came to mind in the following.   When I think about
pre-calculus I think functions.  I suggest that you select a piece of
classical music, a short piece by Mozart, Hayden or Beethoven and analyze it
by the properties that one sees in functions:   line symmetry, rotational
symmetry, inversion, dilation, combination of two or more transformations,
cyclic pattern and divisibility for periodicity, etc. ???...   When I say
analyze I mean to look for patterns in the music line that exhibit these.  I
would suggest looking at beginning piano books for examples.

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/