From: Erik
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 24, 2000 at 15:19:22
Subject: Math Curriculum

   I just got done with teaching my first year of math at an alternative
school for at risk youth.  Many of them have low math skills and low
interest in math unless it can be applied to something more practical or
hands-on than a standard math class would be.  I have a lot of flexibility
at the school and I am trying to come up with curriculum ideas and problems
that would interest them.  I have done a few building projects where
students had to make measurements and try and maximize the volume given
a certain amount of wood.  I have also tried to do a simulation game of
finances.  I am wondering if anyone has ideas either on good books for more
practical math problems and/or knows of places on the web that have a
number of practical problems.  I have been looking for a few days now on the
web and have found some decent stuff but am looking for more.
thanks

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®