Q&A #4243

Connecting hands-on and technology for remedial math

View entire discussion

From: Jackie (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 07, 2000 at 13:54:42
Subject: Re: Connecting hands-on and technology for remedial math

I agree that often children are moved too quickly from the concrete to abstract stage with little time spent on transitioning. One of the things I learned about at the NCTM conference in Chicago this year was using virtual manipulatives to reinforce students math conceptual understandings. Two web sites that are based on using virtual manipulatives to teach specific math concepts are: Click on the Bricks http://tqjunior.thinkquest.org/3896/ http://mason.gmu.edu/~mmankus/ These sites use manipulative representations of things like blocks, base ten pieces, rods, and pattern blocks to help students understand a variety of mathematical concepts. Also, over the last 3-4 years I've used a series of software programs with good results in my primary classrooms. This series also uses a variety of virtual manipulatives to have students practice math concepts. It is published by Ventura Educational Systems and called: * Hands-On Math: Volume 1 * Hands-On Math: Volume 2 * Hands-On Math: Volume 3 You can find out information about these products at: Using Virtual Manipulatives on the Web to Develop Number Sense http://www.venturaes.com/ I learned about their software at a previous math conference and have no connection to this company. I hope this might give you a few ideas of places to look for materials to use in your remedial math lab. -Jackie , for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®