From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 06, 2000 at 01:44:25
Subject: Re: Beach theme math lessons

Hi Erica, What a fun thought. I'd like to design sand castles using prisms, cones, circular cylinders. I see it as an opportunity for lessons in area, perimeter/circumference, volume. The kids could first design the castle on paper and make the necessary computations. Finally build it. You could give the kids the molds or have them make their own out of cardboard and tape. You could tell them they can only use a given volume of sand and a list of shapes that they have to use in their castle design. Just for fun I did a web search for "sand castles" and "sand sculptures." There are lots of neat pictures of table top sculptures and HUGE sculptures. These are "how-to" sites. Sorry for the disorganization of this letter...I just got carried away. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/