Q&A #4301

Order of operations: Algebra

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Rita (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jul 15, 2000 at 14:36:36
Subject: Re: Order of operations: Algebra

One helpful source is probably under you finger tips. Most textbook series have an enrichment workbook that contains games and puzzles that reinforce and develop concepts. I found one that has calculator riddles that require the students to do the correct order of operations to solve a riddle. When they get the correct numerical answer they turn the calculator over and it spells a word that answers the riddle. I also required that they write the numerical result at each step in order to avoid the copying of answers of others. The students really get into this and are motivated to find out why their answer didn't turn out the same as another students, and it is all due to order of operations. It makes a great point how we must be consistent in our applications of mathematics. To remember Order of Operations we use this mnemonic..for the 4 steps. 1 2 3 4 Please Excuse My dear Aunt Sally Be sure to stress that M/D for multiply and divide is left to right just as Add and subtract is. Good luck. If you can't locate such a sheet E-mail me a fax number and I will send you what I use. rmpaton@hotmail.com -Rita, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®