From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 06, 2000 at 00:01:57
Subject: A different way to subtract than normally taught

My daughter is in third grade and is being taught a different way to subtract
than I was taught in school. They are calling it "nicks way". The way I
learned was, if you were given the problem (34-18) you would borrow from the
tens column and do 14 - 8 then do 2-1 and get 16. They donít seem to borrow
from the tens column, they borrow from some imaginary place and then remember
to give back at the end. My daughter has not be able to explain this to me so
I can help her, and I have not had the chance to meet with the teacher yet.
If you are familiar with this method could you explain this to me.
        Thank You

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®