From: <culfran1@primus.com.au>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 24, 2000 at 21:39:36
Subject: Decomposition in math subtraction

I am trying to teach my daughter the decomposition method for subtraction- where the bottom number is higher than the top number. Using base 10 materials is working. I am surprisingly having a lot of success with her verbalizing the process. We are only working on 2 digits at the moment. My problem is that when I started to use this method in 5 and 6 digit numbers with lots of zeros, I couldn't do it with success very often. I especially came into trouble with lots of zeros in a row. You help is greatly appreciated.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/