From: Jackie (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 21, 2000 at 10:24:48
Subject: Re: Math Learning Centers

I use math stations (centers) a lot to reinforce concepts once I have done some whole group lessons to introduce the concept. For example, the following is a list of stations I use with my third graders to practice multiplication basic facts once we have done a number of whole group lessons to learn the underlying concepts. Multiplication Station Activities 1. Shopping Spree: Students look at a menu of items to buy. Their task is to spend exactly $25. (Things on the menu to buy are of student interest such as a model airplane for $2, a yo-yo for $3 a hoola-hoop for $4, etc. For example, if the student chose to buy 5 yo-yos + two hoola- hoops, plus 1 model airplane the total would equal $25 and the student could practice writing multiplication sentences for 5x$3 + 2x$4 + 1x$2. 2. Calculator Patterns: Students create a list of multiples on adding machine tape using a calculator constant to figure out what comes next. 3. Circles and Stars: Students will play a multiplication game with a partner by rolling 1 die to determine how many circles to draw and then rolling a different colored die to draw the number of stars in each circle. They record the number sentence and product. The winner is the one who has the most stars at the end of the game. 4. Patterns of Multiples: Students place number tiles on a 0-99 chart to explore patterns of multiples. 5. Blackout: Students play a game of drawing arrays on a grid sheet. They roll the first die to determine how many rows and the second for the number of squares to fill in each row. The object is to keep rolling and drawing arrays to try to cover the whole grid. 6. Pin Point: Students place tiles that have multiplication sentences written on them on a multiplication grid. One point is awarded for each correct answer and an extra point is given for any sides that touch another tile already placed on the board. 7. Comparison Game Students draw two cards from a standard deck of cards where the face cards have been removed and ace is equal to one. They record their multiplication number sentence and product. Their partner repeats the process above. Finally, they spin a "more or less" spinner to determine the winner for that round. The winner is the one who has won the most rounds at the end of the game time. 8. 4 in a Row: Students spin spinners to determine the product of two numbers and then cover the product on a hundredís board. The winner is the first person to cover 4 squares in a row. If the number is already covered the student doesnít play that turn. 9. Poison: Students take turns rolling two 4-9 dice. Each die has a skull drawn in the position of one of the numbers. They multiply the product for the roll and record their score. They can keep going until they roll a poison(skull). If they roll two poisons, they lose all their points. 10. Multiplication Lotto: We have prepared a set of grids that have been filled in with possible product numbers. Students use a set of flash cards to determine what number to cover on their board and the winner is the first one to fill a row or column. -Jackie , for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/