From: Susan (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Aug 23, 1998 at 13:16:11
Subject: Re: Including

Jamie,

It has been my experience that when people talk about "low" students, they
really mean "low in the 4 basic operations." I travel around to 5 buildings
and teach math in other classrooms, and I often CANNOT tell which are the
special education students and which are regular, or on level.

The reason? I expect the same things from the "lower" students as I do the
others. Questioning techniques are important. Using a constructivistic point
of view, I force students to answer their own questions, construct their own
knowledge, in a guided format. Making students explain answers with a, "Why
do you think so?" or "Prove it!" or "Give some example as to why you think
this is true."

Encourages all kids to have mathematical confidence. I also do many
geometrical, spatial things, as I have found that often the kids who have
trouble with number facts do remarkably better than their peers in spatial
sense and reasoning.

 -Susan, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question