From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Aug 24, 1998 at 22:58:48
Subject: Practical uses for division of fraction

I think that the one place where I still use fractions on a fairly frequent basis is in cooking. Recipes still give teaspoon, tablespoon and fractional amounts for cups. Imagine a recipe that you wished to prepare. The recipe calls for 5 eggs. You happen to have only 3 eggs. For the rest of the ingredients for the recipe you could DIVIDE each amount by 5/3rds Now, of course, it is the same as multiplying by 3/5ths. A good question to ask children is: Is dividing by 5/3rds the same as multiplying by 3/5th? I hope it is! Good cooking. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/