From: Ryan
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Sep 03, 1998 at 21:52:03
Subject: Tracking

I am very frustrated with the bipolar classes that I have been getting
lately.  I have some students that can't do or figure out 2 x 3 and
equally large group that has mastered the multiplication tables.

I have tried mixed grouping for several years and it does not help.  I end
up running around the room from one low student to another.  I can't give
each student individual attention in a class of 36.

I am thinking of ability grouping. So, the students that understand
quickly can work without being disturbed by me helping the other students
or some students giving up and being rowdy before I can get to their
table.  This way, I can help only a few tables while the others finish
their work.

By the way, after researching homogeneous grouping studies, I am under the
impression that the study results are only satisfying "Political
Correctness Policies."  Is either that or someone is justifying their
job again in the Department of Education.  As a math teacher I understand
how to make statistics say anything you want them to say.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/